Pineda’s Visit

October 14, 2010

So, actually getting to talk to Jon Pineda was awesome.  It was really cool to hear about some of the things I hadn’t even thought to ask, and to just hear him explain some of the way writing poetry works for him.  For me, listening to him actually read his poems in person was fantastic, and gave a whole new depth to them – especially when he read “My Sister, Who Died Young, Takes Up The Task” – just hearing him read it made me want to go back and read it again.  The anecdotes he shared with us before some of his readings during Thursday Poems were all things that helped me feel like I could understand his poetry better, and helped me feel even more of a connection with his work than I did before.

I don’t remember whether this was discussed in Professor Scanlon’s class, or in Professor Emerson’s class right after it, but it was also really inspiring to know that Pineda has just a regular “nine to five” (as he described it) job working with Verizon – and yet, he has managed to publish three books so far.  I don’t know about everyone else, but it gives me a lot more hope as someone considering writing myself, to know that I don’t necessarily have to go to grad school, or try to make a living off of writing alone, to be successful and one day get published.

Categories: Uncategorized.