Jim Morrison Beat Poet???

September 8, 2010

[kml_flashembed movie="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ul5HTPES-yU" width="425" height="350" wmode="transparent" /]The cool thing about the Beats was their relationship with the artists and cultural leaders at the time. As so, their influences bled over and in between these two groups fluidly. Many of the popular musicains of the ’60s and ’70s were also poets, although they rarely ever get lumped into the category of “Beat” because, afterall, they were professional musicans and not professional writers.  Nevertheless, their poetry is often a beautiful insight into the minds behind some of the most inconic and revolutionary music of all time, plus most musicians are poets anyways.  
     While reading a book written by Wallace Fowlie called Rimbaud and Morrison: The Rebel as Poet I became interested in Morrison’s poetry and found it to be quite good and even mesmorizing at some points.  His album “An American Prayer,” is him reading his poetry and short stories with The Doors playing in the background.  While reading Bishop’s “Arrival at Santos,” I began to realize the deeper meaning behind seeing something we thought we knew before (a country, flag, or coin, for instance) in a completely new way and how that interpretation can be a comment on our ability to reason and comprehend change and how we are living our lives.  It also reminded me of my favorite track of Morrison’s from “An American Prayer,” “The Movie,” so watch and see how Morrison goes to a movie just to have it question him. When Bishop writes “Finish your breakfast,” she is talking to herself, but she’s also talking to the reader and watch how Morrison questions the listener as well.  Or, perhaps, i’ve contirved the connection, either way enjoy!

Categories: Uncategorized.