What is John Cage Doing????

December 2, 2010

John Cage walking on water errrrr performing \”Water Walk\”

I have been meaning to do a short post about John Cage ever since working on the Black Mountain College multimedia project. The first time i learned about cage was in my freshman seminar with Gardner Campbell called Rock/Soul/Progressive and it was a study of music’s transcontinental journey from the U.K. to America from 1950 to the present. When we studied Cage, we categorized┬áhim under the microscope of the progressive genre and focused on the avante-garde movement of the 20th century in general. Overall, i think Cage is a bit of a nutcase, but he nonetheless pushes the envelope of what people generally consider as art and how they perceive it and for that i support Cage’s cause. I just wanted to post a video that gave more a prop to the idea The Black Mountain College, where Cage often taught and composed, had regarding art as a musical and visual performance. Even though it hardly makes any sense to me, i would love to have been able to see some of Cage’s artistic performances and demonstrations like the one in the video. I just can’t help imagining Cage coming out on a Late Night talk show as the entertainment and performing “Water Walk.” It’d be so enetertaining and confusing at the same time. Nonetheless, Cage is a poet in his own artistic right and his influence on the avante-garde in general is monumental.

Categories: Uncategorized.